Cold Thai Noodle Salad Recipe
There’s something about cold Asian noodle salads that scream comfort for me! I mean it could be the carbs, because who doesn’t eat them and want to take a nap after? But, I also think the use of creamy peanut butter gives this dish an extra luscious element. Or maybe it’s the fact that I ate this salad curled up on my couch, under cozy blankets, watching mindless TV? Whatever the reason, it was a filling, delicious and share worthy.
This was one of those, throw together meals that turned into a future lunch favorite. I had extra rice noodle, broccoli slaw, and one chicken breast sitting around that I needed to use up. This was the tasty results. The crunchy vegetables and cold noodles got a little citrus bath while the chicken was drenched in a creamy, peanut buttery Asian marinade. Only in Thai food could this combination of flavors work so well!
Make this ahead of time so it is eaten at room temperature or slightly chilled. It will only last a day or two before the oils and citrus begins to coagulate, so share it with your family, and don’t hoard!
And as I mentioned earlier-if eaten on a couch, you may get the full comfort food effect…just saying.
….all for the love of the dish
- 1/2 package rice noodles
- 1 10pz package broccoli slaw
- 2 limes
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs Rice wine vinegar
- Salt and crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- First pat dry chicken breasts and heat 1 tsp oil over medium-high heat in a small skillet. Cook chicken until fully cooked through, about 5-7 minutes each side. Remove from skillet and let cool.
- Bring large salted pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add rice noodles and remove from heat. Let noodles cook in the hot water (That is no longer over heat) for about 5 minutes. Then drain. Bring the noodles to room temperature and then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl mix together peanut butter, tamari, sesame oil and crushed red pepper.
- Shred or dice the cooled chicken. Toss it with peanut butter mixture.
- Once noodles are cooled you may need to run them through cool water to loosen them up so they aren’t stuck together. After this toss them with the broccoli slaw. Then add ¼ cup olive oil, rice vinegar, the juice from 2 limes, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Toss until salad is fully coated and mixed well.
- Crush your peanuts ( i place in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin)
- Top with chicken and peanuts and serve.
- This will store for up to 2 days