During the summer I tend to eat a lot of salads. They are a cool and crisp relief on those sticky summer nights. With salad, the possibilities are endless. Yet, I tend to fall into the same hum drum everyday salad routine. This year I have tried to break out of the monotony. First came, the Watermelon and Arugula salad (which was a big hit with all of you!) and now…. the Crab Cobb Salad Stacks.
I’ve always been curious to try the “fresh” canned crab meat at the seafood counter in my store. Not because I thought by any means it could replace truly fresh crab. However; people eat canned tuna every day right? So how bad could it be? I made a gut decision to grab it while on sale (it can definitely be a little pricey when not on sale) and add it into the cobb salads I was planning to make for the week. There was a surge of creativity on my part on the night I planned to whip up my salads. So, I decided to make salad stacks instead.
I used large juicy jersey tomatoes, which are now in season, the wide base for my meal. I then stacked on the crab, avocado, bacon, bibb lettuce and blue cheese and sandwiched another thick slice of tomato on top. To finish it all off there was the drizzle of my lemon basil vinaigrette. The crab was a pleasant surprise. It still maintained that hint of sweetness that I love from crab. And although it wasn’t fresh off a boat, in maintained the freshness quality. The can provided a generous portion of crab that three of us couldn’t even finish in one meal sitting. I mixed some of the lemon bail dressing in with the crab before adding a layer to my salad stack which I thought gave it a nice flavor dimension.
Break out of your salad monotony and be adventurous.
I’ve found some awesome new flavor combinations I love this summer and these crab cobb stacks are undeniably one of them.
…all for the love of the dish
- For the salad stacks:
- ¾ cup lump crab meat
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 slices Bibb lettuce
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Dressing as desired
- For the lemon basil vinaigrette:
- 1 bunch of basil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 & ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- For the dressing:
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add salt and pepper accordingly if needed.
- For the Crab Stacks:
- Rinse off the canned crab. Mix with ¼ cup of the lemon basil dressing.
- Slice 8 thick slices of tomato. Use 4 slices as you stack bottoms. Top with the dressed crab followed by a slice in bacon (cut in half and use both pieces for each stack), 2 slices of avocado, a piece of bibb lettuce and a pinch of blue cheese. Top the stack off with another large slice of tomato. You can also sprinkle more blue cheese on top. Drizzle with dressing as desired.
There will be extra dressing. It lasts for 1-2 days in the fridge before starting to coagulate. So use quickly!