There’s something about short ribs that just encompasses the true meaning of comfort food. This easy crockpot Short Rib Ragu is no exception.
I’ve cooked short ribs quite a few different ways. Yet, the short ribs always make the dish into a stick to your ribs, hearty dinner. It could be the way that the meat becomes melt in your mouth tender when slow cooked. Maybe it’s that the beef provides another dimension of flavor in any sauce you cook it in. Another reason might be that it tends to be best served over scrumptious starchy sides like polenta, potatoes and pasta. But whatever the reason may be I have found that short ribs are quickly becoming my crowd pleaser weekend meal for all occasions.
Today’s recipe is as easy as they come. Yet, the layers of slow cooked ingredients come together as an overture of savory flavors. You can serve this at your next dinner party with confidence that your dinner guests will be impressed! All the while you’ll know it took you just a few short minutes of prep and a few hours of patient waiting.
Enjoy this rustic dish with a rich glass of red wine and crusty warm bread to round off the meal.
…all for the love of the dish
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup red wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp each of salt and pepper
- 1 lb of pappardelle (or any shape) pasta
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high and add the tbsp of olive oil. Slice the short ribs into chunks (about 2 inches long). Brown for 3 minutes on each side. Add to the crockpot. Then add the peeled tomatoes, squeezing each by hand (or a potato masher) before placing in the pot. Finally add all other ingredients except for the pasta to the crockpot. Turn on low and cook for 8 hours (it should work on high for 4 as well).
- 20 minutes before serving, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook 8 minutes or until al dente.
- Scoop the ragu over the pasta and serve.