Today’s recipe is absolutely nutty! It’s an over-the-top, over-indulgent, but oh-so worth it spin on zucchini bread. I mean…just the name of it spells out the impending overload of delicious dessert flavors- Double Chocolate Peanut Butter and Nutella Zucchini Bread.
This zucchini bread is a result of an over-abundance of zucchini from my farm share and co-worker’s garden. I brought in a regular double chocolate chip zucchini bread to share with the office but, got some comments from the peanut gallery (see what I did there?). My team joked that the only way this zucchini bread could get better was peanut butter, no wait Nutella. So I took their words as a challenge and this recipe was the result.
The upgrade was really so simple, a peanut butter and Nutella drizzle. But the change made all the difference when it came to my co-workers. Sighs of content and passing commentary of “why would you do this to me?” were being thrown around as their happy mouths demolished the sweet treat off!
Two things I need to share before I get to the recipe is that this is a variation of my first zucchini bread recipe I shared way back when on the blog. That recipe was actually made to provide a healthier version (Its gluten free and dairy free, Recipe here). Today’s recipe actually moves in the other direction to make the zucchini bread more of a dessert option. The zucchini lends a hand to make the cake extra moist but, I wouldn’t count on it making it a healthy option. But keep telling yourself that. I know I did as I managed to eat about 4 slices myself in the process of perfecting this recipe.
The mantra for today’s recipe is go big or go home.
This bread definitely takes the cake on going all the way with our guilty pleasures. Need an excuse to make it? Weekend brunch tables, coworkers’ desks, birthday celebration spreads, and bad day binge plates are all calling your name!
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (About 1 large zucchini)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup of Nutella
- Tools needed- Hand mixer
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and dry your zucchini. Using a large cheese grater, shred the zucchini until there is 1 & ½ cups. Put shredded zucchini aside.
- Mix together (Do not need hand mixer to mix here-simply use a whisk or fork) all dry ingredients except for your sugar in a bowl (Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt, Cinnamon and Cocoa Powder). Put aside for later use.
- In another large bowl mix together (using your hand mixer) the eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil.
- Gradually add the zucchini to the mixture, then the dry ingredients, and lastly mix in half of your dark chocolate chips. Beat until combined but do not over mix.
- Pour your batter into a greased loaf pan and top with remaining half of chocolate chips and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 55 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan until easy to touch (About 15-20 minutes). Then remove from the pan (I scraped a knife along the sides of the pan to help provide some wiggle room to remove) and let sit on a cooling rack for another 15-20 minutes or until completely cooled
- Place peanut butter and Nutella in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until pourable.
- Put parchment paper underneath the cooling rack and then drizzle the loaf with the peanut butter and Nutella.
- Let cool for an additional 30 minutes and then serve!