Today’s post is featuring a dish for the meal I don’t give enough love to, breakfast. This Italian Pesto Breakfast Bake will knock your socks off. It’s savory and cheesy with delicious herbaceous pockets from the pesto.
Funny enough, growing up I refused to eat any breakfast food. My parents jumped through hoops to try and get me to partake in this meal. I disliked eggs, waffles, pancakes, cereal and even bagels and donuts for a while …pretty much all things we know and love as breakfast options. My diet consisted of options like granola bars or peanut butter on a hard roll. Thank goodness I came to my senses and now breakfast has become one of my favorite food moments of the day! So today I am going to celebrate my new(ish) love for the morning meal.
I have a potluck brunch coming up this weekend and I began to plan out my dish as soon as I received my invite last month. I love the idea of breakfast bakes because you can make them in advance, they are easy, and they tend to reheat well (I ate the leftovers from my test runs for breakfast throughout the week and it was still delicious when reheated).
The other great plus of this recipe is that it has typical breakfast components like hash browns and eggs but, the added pesto and chicken sausage make this a robust dish that can easily be eaten for any meal of the day, dinner included.
If you’re looking for a great baking dish (and pretty too) I have you covered. I use my baking dishes from everything from cobblers to casseroles and using ones that are stylish make your table when guests arrive that much nicer. Here’s a few you might like:
…all for the love of the dish!
Get $35 off Lean & Clean meals from Sun Basket!
**Hotels.com Destination of the Day: Top Ski Destinations #6 Vail, Colorado
Italian Pesto Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 1 bag Simply Potatoes Hash Browns
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups basil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 large garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 pkg of sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 pkg chicken sausage (any flavor you prefer)
- 1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- 6 oz sliced fresh Mozzarella
- Tools Needed- Food Processor
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread your potatoes on the bottom of a 13X9 pan.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium/low heat. Add the sliced onions and mushrooms and sauté for 20 minutes or until they begin to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, while the mushrooms and onions are cooking, make the pesto. Place all ingredients in the food processor. Pulse for 1-2 minutes. Pour over the potatoes and make sure to spread so that the pesto hits all areas. *Side Note-you can cheat and buy store bought pesto as well if you would prefer
- Add the chicken sausage to the mushroom and onion mixture after they have sautéed for 20 minutes or so. Allow the sausage to brown cooking approximately 5 minutes (Note that I used pre-cooked sausage so cooking time may differ depending on the brand you buy). Drain off any liquid from the pan and pour the entire mixture over the pesto and potatoes.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning together. Pour over the casserole.
- If you are making ahead or the night before allow to cool and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- If you are cooking right away slice your fresh mozzarella and top the breakfast bake. (This step should be done right before baking whether you prepare ahead or are cooking on the spot).
- Cook in the oven for approximately 55 minutes.