If there is one thing that is apparent in this third trimester of mine, it is that I am ALWAYS hungry. I need a snack just about every hour or I’m ravished and/or cranky. In an effort to TRY to stay on track I decided to try making these Oatmeal Raisin Cookie No Bake Energy Bites. I’ve seen this snack trend all over my Instagram account and Pinterest and thought I would give them a try. The concept is simple using nut butter as a binder and protein source and rolling in whole grains and other add in’s for flavor like nuts, fruits, and chocolate. I’ve had quite a sweet tooth so I thought doing an Oatmeal Cookie replication would satisfy my cravings.
So full disclosure, I have not been perfect this pregnancy. I have given in freely to my cravings. After a first trimester of food aversions and sickness I allowed myself to eat what I could and it created some bad habits. However, no one is perfect and I’m trying to cut myself some slack. When I can I try to sneak in my daily doses of protein and veggies. They have been the hardest to stomach. That’s why these tasty little bites were a perfect solution. It allows me to snack and get a healthy mix of protein and whole grains in one bite! I love that these little energy bites give the appeal of cookie dough but without the raw egg and the guilt.
So snack happily with these little bombs of flavor.
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a medium bowl mix together the almond butter, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well blended. Add in the oats. Using a large spoon mix for 1-2 minutes (at least) until oats and nut butter mixture is completely blended into one unified dough. Add in the raisins and mix well again.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using your hands, roll out balls of dough into your bites.
- Ready to eat or store in the refrigerator until ready to snack, up to one week.