I’m keeping up with my Mexican breakfast theme this week with today’s easy recipe for Scrambled Huevos Rancheros.
My fiancé is constantly ordering huevos rancheros when we go out for breakfast. I thought it was time that I finally took the initiative to learn to make it at home. It’s surprisingly quick and very simple. There is one optional make-ahead component (the salsa) but, if you have the time it’s definitely worth it!
Traditionally, huevos rancheros features a fried egg on top of the tortilla and other included toppings. However; I am one of those blasphemous people who grew up hating eggs. It was only as I grew into an adult that I developed an appreciation. Unfortunately, it hasn’t quite fully evolved to embrace runny eggs just yet! In lieu of this preference I selfishly adjusted the dish for my own benefit. However; I can assure you that it is still delicious! If you prefer your egg fried, you can use this recipe but just swap out the egg preparation.
This spicy, savory dish is both flavorful and filling. Your weekend breakfast tables just got a bit more exciting!
One last side note…I’ve gotten some requests to be sure to mention when things are gluten free. This recipe is gluten free friendly 🙂
…all for the love of the dish
Scrambled Huevos Racheros Recipe
- 12 eggs
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, diced
- 6 tbsp refried beans
- ½ cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes
- ½ medium onion
- 4.5oz can diced green chilis
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne papper
- Salt and pepper
- For the Salsa:
- Using a large grater, grate the tomatoes and onion into a bowl. Add the diced chilis, cumin, cayenne pepper and about ¼ tsp each of salt and pepper. Heat a medium pan with a tsp of olive oil. Add the salsa and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- You can eat the salsa warm, as is. Or, chill it for about an hour in the fridge if you would prefer it cold.
- For the Huevos Rancheros:
- Turn oven to 375 degrees.
- Crack 12 eggs into a large bowl. Whisk to mix and add a dash of salt and pepper. Heat a large pan, spray with some non-stick cooking oil and pour the eggs into the pan. Use a spatula to scramble the eggs and allow all the liquid egg to hit the pan and cook. Once there is no liquid in the pan any longer with the eggs transfer out of the hot pan onto a plate. *you should almost slightly undercook the eggs here since they will go in the oven again for a few minutes.
- Lay out 6 corn tortillas on a foil lined baking sheet. Spread 1 tbsp of refried beans onto each. Top with 1/6 of the scrambled eggs. Sprinkle with cheddar jack cheese. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with salsa and diced avocado before serving!