Sweet Spring Strawberry Salad
It’s one of my favorite times of the year. The birds are chirping, the flowers are in full bloom, and we are starting to head outdoors as much as possible. However; while Spring is certainly a joyful time for the weather; it does happen to lead into the dreadful bikini season. This means that I need to start cleaning up my eating act (starting with this Sweet Spring Strawberry Salad). Let’s face it; a winter full of travels, holidays, and warm comfort foods leads has led to some soft spots in my routine (and body….eeeek). With all of this said, I am going to try (emphasis on try) to eat better whenever possible. But, It’s all about balance.
This salad recipe is the perfect blend of healthy and splurges. The spring greens and bright strawberries will pack you full of your vitamin C (look it up if you don’t believe me!) . The salty blue cheese and sweet pecans thrown in will still provide some nutrients (Think calcium and protein) but, give the salad that “cheat day” effect.
I used a special strawberry balsamic that we purchased from a local shop in my dressing which really dressed the salad up however; regular balsamic will do just fine! If you happen to have some of that nice, thick, goopy balsamic (the real stuff…) lying around, I suggest a drizzle for added flavor.
Now you’re one day and one salad closer to a healthier week. You’re welcome 😉
…all for the love of the dish
Get $35 off Lean & Clean meals from Sun Basket!
- 4 cups spring greens
- ½ cup strawberries sliced
- 2/3 cup pecans (unsalted)
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a small sauce pan over medium on the stovetop. Add pecans and toast for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add honey and water. Let it reduce until the honey and water have dissolved from liquid form and the nuts are sticky from the coating.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Toss the honeyed pecans in the sugar mixture. Let the pecans cool on parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together balsamic, evoo, and salt and pepper to taste
- Once nuts are cooled find a large salad bowl. Add greens, strawberries, blue cheese, nuts and toss. Add as much dressing as desired and toss to coat.