I’m pretty sure every year I complain about this but here I am again ready to give a little vent session. It’s summer and I have no grill! What I would give to be outside everyday making simple, quick and healthy meals. But, our townhouse complex does not allow them so alas, I’m out of luck for yet another year. I bring this up today because I start to get inventive with my summer meals about now. I need things that require short oven time to keep the house cool. I also tend to crave light meals that don’t sit to heavy on warmer nights. So today I’m sharing Artichoke, Fennel and Olive Foil Fish Packets.
I love baking fish in foil packets because it’s essentially like a one pot or a sheet pan meal. It’s a full meal all wrapped up and cooked together at the same time. I also think these are great for summer because they are done baking in just 12 short minutes. That’s hopefully not enough time to heat up your house too much! There are so so so many variations you can make when doing foil packet cooking. This recipe is just a little idea jumpstart for you!
I like the combination of citrus kissed artichokes, salty olives and the slightly spiced fennel. I also added in some sweet summer squash to the mix. If you don’t like the distinct taste of fennel (it has a sort of licorice essence to it), that’s fine, just swap it with onions!. I added lemon slices and just a hint of white wine vinegar to bring some acid to the dish. But otherwise it’s just olive oil, salt and pepper. It’s truly a clean and simple meal.
The packet alone can be your meal but if you want something a little heavier, just pour it all over some rice for an added starch component.
Oh and don’t forget a cool and crisp glass of wine to pair with it. Pinot Grigio would be my pick 😉
…all for the love of the dish
- 4 cod filets
- 1/2 cup quartered artichoke hearts, in water
- 1/2 cup olives (green or kalamata)
- 1/2 cup sliced fennel (can sub onion if you can’t find or don’t like fennel)
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Approx 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash and slice vegetables. Pat dry fish fillets. Set up 4 squares of foil on a basking sheet.
- Place one piece of fish in the center of each foil square. Salt and pepper each filet to your liking. Drizzle each piece of fish with a small amount of olive oil (I didn’t use real measurements here but maybe a tablespoon or less!).
- Add an even portion of the olives, fennel/onion, zucchini,artichokes and minced garlic. Top with a lemon slice or two.
- Fold the foil in half over the fish and then pinch the ends in to create a pocket. Before finishing the folding add about 1 tsp of white wine vinegar to your packet. Then fold tightly with leaving a sliver open on the long fold to allow steam to come out.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes.