A few weeks ago I went to a restaurant in Red Bank, NJ called Dish. It’s a great little BYOB that serves up inspired meals with an Italian influence. One of the specials on the evening we dined there was a watermelon salad with ricotta salate. Our table was intrigued with the combination and ordered one salad to share. It was a sweet and salty delight. I knew it would be an easy dish to recreate and I bookmarked the idea to take home to the kitchen.
Not more than a week later I was asked to bring a side dish to a Memorial Day barbeque. My mind immediately drifted back to the light and refreshing salad from Dish. I whipped together this quick and easy salad and it was hit. I also added pine nuts to my version for a little crunch. Then I dressed it lightly with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze drizzles. The sweet watermelon and balsamic flavors balance out the earthy zest from the cheese and the hint of spice from the arugula. It’s a unique combination but it works.
Surprise your taste buds with this salad at your next family barbecue. It would also be fantastic for your next packed lunch!
…all for the love of the dish
- About 5 cups arugula (I used an 11 oz container)
- 1 ¼ cups cubed watermelon
- 2/3 cup cubed ricotta salate cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup evoo
- ¼ cup balsamic glaze (use the thick syrupy aged balsamic vinegar-not regular vinegar)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Top arugula with cubed watermelon, ricotta salate, and pine nuts. Mix in evoo, balsamic glaze, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the salad. Adjust dressing to taste if needed.
- Ready to serve!