Let grilling season begin!!! It’s that special time of year where you can smell smoky food sizzling up in people’s backyards, drink clinking on decks, and usually laughter and conversation. I must say that I have a huge case of food envy every time the scents of grilled food waft into the streets. I personally am not permitted to own a grill in my house complex (HUGE bummer). But, it gives me a great excuse to go visit friends and family. This week I did a little guest cooking experience at my parent’s house to try out their grill and bring you this Asian Pork Burger recipe in partnership with PC Richard and Son.
For those of you who are in the market for a new grill, PC Richard & Son have a huge selection of grills, smokers, and even portable grills. My parents actually had a Weber grill similar to PC Richard and Son’s featured new model! Check this propane grill out for some serious cooking performance: HERE
As for my own grilling experience this weekend, I wanted to start the outdoor dinner season off right with some classic barbecue fare (with a twist of course!!). Burgers are one of my favorite foods of all time. While, I’ll never not love the standard beef patty and bun version of the burger, there are truly endless possibilities. Not only are the varieties limitless, most of them require so little effort or ingredients. My, not-so-average, featured burger recipe today is an Asian pork burger with crispy slaw and sriracha ketchup. Ginger, garlic, and scallions make the pork patties flavorful and Asian inspired. The cool slaw combined with lime juice, rice vinegar, and sesame oil adds a signature crunch. But, for the heat lovers the sriracha ketchup turns the spice up a notch (Save some of this ketchup for fries or rings dipping…it was the star of my plate!).
Enjoying that first bite of my juicy pork burger on a warmed sesame bun was nothing short of exciting. Spring is officially sprung! Now, if only I can convince our local friends to get some of these grills too…. I promise I’ll come cook if you host 😉
Here’s a full grill listing from PC Richard and Son’s page for those of you who want to get your barbecue seasons started.
…all for the love of the dish
Note: PC Richard is sponsoring this post however, all writing and opinions are my own.
- 1lb ground pork
- 4 sesame burger buns
- 2 scallions
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp sriracha (additional if you want it hotter)
- Heat grill. Wash and slice your scallions, keeping both the white and green portions. Grate ginger and mince garlic.
- In a medium bowl, mix pork, scallions, 1 tsp sesame oil, half of the grated ginger, the garlic clove, and ½ tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Form 4 equal size patties. When grill is hot enough, put all 4 patties on to start cooking, close the grill lid.
- Meanwhile, mix the 2 cups of coleslaw mix with the juice from ½ a lime, rice vinegar, 2 tsp sesame oil. the other half of the grated ginger and ½ tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Flip burger patties after about 5 minutes and close the lid again.
- Now, mix together the sriracha and ketchup. You can play with the balance of the 2 if you want it less or more spicy.
- Add the sesame buns to the grill with about 2-3 minutes remaining to cook.
- Once cooked to your desired doneness, put one patty on each bun, ½ cup of slaw mixture and a heaping spoonful of srirach ketchup.