This week will be cheesy and oh so indulging on Behind the Plates! I’m going to be sharing two VERY tantalizing grilled cheese recipes. Take it from someone who despises white bread and American cheese ( I know, Blasphemous!), there are so many more thrilling ways to enjoy this classic sandwich. And may I go out on a limb and dare say, they will make you forget all about the kid version and graduate to a gourmet, grown-up choice? First up is a Bacon, Fig and Brie Grilled Cheese.
There’s not much debate on the process of making grilled cheese. I’m not going to turn your worlds upside down there. A skillet and some butter are still the essentials. BUT, I will say the quality of the ingredients makes a big difference. This is when splurging on that crusty bakery sliced bread will make or break your lunch. Also, if you’re going to use bacon, any will do however….thick cut maple bacon will really blow this sandwich out of the water. JUST SAYING (I’m loving caps today).
The salt and savory bacon paired with the sweet spread of fig jam and buttery, creamy cheese is the ULTIMATE drool worthy combination. Slap two slices of crispy whole grain (good quality, remember) bread and you my friend, have a serious sandwich on your hands.
So grow up….or more politely, take the next step in your grilled cheese game.
…all for the love of the dish
- 4 slices crusty whole grain bread
- 4 oz Brie cheese
- 3 slices thick cut bacon (maple flavor, optional)
- 2 tbsp fig jam
- 2 tbsp butter
- Cook bacon according to package. You can make just the 3 slices or all and save extra for other recipes etc.
- Compose the sandwiches. Slice and divide cheese out between the 2. Smear fig jam on top slice of bread. Sandwich one and half slices of bacon in each.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat in a skillet on the stovetop.
- Using the other 1 tbsp of butter, lightly spread a little on all outer slices of the bread (top and bottom)
- Add the sandwiches to the pan with the melted butter. Cook each side until golden, pushing down with a spatula as it cooks.
- Remove and serve immediately!