I have a long commute to work every day. During those hour and half (each way) drives is often when my inspiration hits. (You have a lot of alone time with your mind…). My latest recipe for BBQ Peach and Blue Cheese Burgers is a direct result of one of these “light bulb” moments in the car.
I was craving a burger so I began to think up some out of the box ideas. The first thing that came to my mind was putting peaches on a burger. I then decided a tangy, salty cheese was a must to balance the sweet peaches; so blue cheese popped into my head. I love caramelized onions so I added them into my little daydream recipe as well. The last thought I had was figuring out what kind of sauce would work.
My thought was ketchup would not be an option with this flavor profile. I decided to attempt to make my own BBQ sauce. I settled on trying out making a jalapeño peach BBQ (That recipe went up earlier this week. Check it out here) . To top it all off I decided the burger must be served on a pretzel bun (On a side note these were hard to find, Costco carried them which is where I grabbed mine).
This creation of mine lived in my head for nearly 2 weeks. I found myself craving something I hadn’t even tried, let alone know if it would even taste good. I shared the idea with some family and friends and I got the same look of “crazy” from each of them. I finally was able to execute the dish and I invited my boyfriend and his friend to join in on the taste testing. They were definitely hesitant but as soon as we all took our first bites we looked at each other with big grins. This burger was not just tasty, it was monumentally delicious. I mentally patted myself on the back and proceeded to call all my doubters to ensure them I had a hit.
So after much ado about this burger I bring you the recipe! By the way, with peaches coming into season this is a great late summer, seasonal, meal.
Get your napkins ready!!!!!
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4-6 pretzel buns (you can use any bun you like if you can't find pretzel buns)
- 1 & 1/2 red onions
- 1/2 small block of blue cheese, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6-8 tbsp of Jalapeno Peach BBQ Sauce (Recipe here:)
- 1/2 peach, sliced very thin
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter over low heat in a pan. Add 1 sliced red onion and let cook for approximately 1 hour. Stirring occasionally.
- Heat your grill OR a pan on the stove-top. *I have no grill so I sear my burgers on my stove-top before finishing in the broiler.
- Mince ½ of an onion and mix with ground beef, along with 2 tbsp of peach BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper. Shape into 4-6 patties (depending on your bun size).
- Cook burgers to medium rare and add your squares of blue cheese (You can use crumbled too but I preferred slicing mine off a block). Finish off on the grill until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and just slightly browned. If you are using your oven, remove the burgers from the pan, place on baking sheet, top with cheese and place in broiler (on low) until the your cheese meets the requirement mentioned above. *note these directions will have your burgers cooked to about medium
- Place your burger on your bun, top with a tbsp of peach BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, and top it off with 2 very thinly sliced pieces of fresh peach.