When not in Rome, but still craving all the delicious classics, I start to recreate. That’s exactly what happened with today’s recipe for Baked Cacio e Pepe Spaghetti Squash Bowls. I tried the Roman favorite, Taglioni Cacio e Pepe for the first time on last month’s trip. It’s simply pepper and parmesan pasta. Who knew that such straightforward ingredients lead to such mouthwatering results.
The parmesan and pepper become a thick paste when a little pasta water or oil is added. That’s what gives this dish it’s creamy characteristics. And while I wish I could splurge like I did on my Italian vacation all the time, it’s time to get back to real life. So, I took the rich flavors of the dish and mixed it with spaghetti squash for a low carb dinner option. Yes, it’s still a bit of a cheat meal with the extra cheese. But, you won’t feel AS bad.
This dish is easy and cheesy! Get ready to please your table guests (or just yourself) with this recipe.
As usual here are some great ways to finish off the meal:
- a piece of garlic toast on the side
- Some Italian roasted veggies (I Like “An Italian in My Kitchen’s” Recipe)
- With a glass of Sangiovese for pairing (have one extra glass for me…I’m missing my wine badly during this pregnancy!)
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup shaved/shredded Parmesan
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- Poke holes around the spaghetti squash with a fork or knife. Using a microwave safe dish (I like glass, not plastic) with an inch of water at the bottom cook for 12 minutes. Then flip cook for 12 more minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half. Scoop out seeds and dispose.
- Use a fork to pull spaghetti squash strands from the flesh of the squash. Remove, leaving just the casing. Place the 2 casing bowls on a foil lined tray for later use.
- Melt butter in pan. Add shredded spaghetti squash from the halved squash. Let cook for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, put cheese, pepper and 1 tbsp water in bowl and mix together until paste like mixture is formed.
- Add cheese mixture and olive oil to spaghetti squash
- Mix and cook for 2-3 min.
- Put spaghetti squash and cheese mixture back in skins. Sprinkle with a little more Parmesan and pepper on top, bake for 20-24 min or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown