If you’ve been reading the blog the past couple month’s you may have noticed there have been a good handful of Asian inspired recipes. I’ve really enjoyed fooling around with these flavor profiles in the kitchen. Once I “discovered” Thai curries and coconut milk my mind has run wild with ideas. Everything from delicious stir fry ideas, casseroles, and in today’s case noodle dishes have been on the menu agenda. Creamy Green Curry Coconut Noodles will become a weeknight comfort meal on repeat.
A few years back, one pot meals were the latest craze. One pot meals, similar to how it sounds, are when you cook the entirety of your meal in one pot. Sometimes they can be as easy as throwing all the ingredients into a pot simultaneously and just waiting for the heat up. Think of it as crock pot recipes for your stovetop. Predominantly these meals were Italian recipes. The recipes most often involved pasta, some type of sauce and whatever vegetables or protein was to be added.
I never really dabbled in testing out these types of recipes and the trend came and left me behind. It wasn’t until I was recently patrolling my Pinterest feed when I saw someone make a one pot meal using Asian flavors. My little recipe lightbulb went off. I decided to bring the one-pot meal back with my own flair.
I started testing out doing a one pot dish that involved noodles soaked in coconut milk to give them a creamy component along with veggies and some spices. After cooking it a handful of times I started adding a little of this and that and came out with a meal that has become a frequented meal in my house. The beauty of these recipes is that it genuinely takes one pot to cook everything in. That’s only one dish to clean! It also cooks up in just under 30 minutes (Week night meal alert!!).
This Creamy Green Curry Coconut Noodles with Sesame Shrimp is luxurious. This velvety sauce is like a Thai version of an Alfredo (without all the heavy cream!). The vegetables add some color and a slight crunch and the shrimp bring a distinctive toasty flavor to the mix.
Time to go whip up a batch of this gluten free, dairy free decadent dinner!
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 cups seafood stock (you can use chicken or vegetable broth as well)
- 1, 14 oz box pad thai noodles
- 1 & ½ tbsp. green curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen brand)
- 4 oz shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper
- Place stock pot on your stove top. Add 2 tsp sesame oil and heat over medium high. Add shrimp. Cook until they've turned completely opaque with a pink color. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the pot and set aside for later use.
- Add the additional 1 tsp of sesame oil. Add the diced onion and bell pepper. Sauté for about 3 minutes and add chopped mushrooms and ginger. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk, seafood stock, green curry paste, and ½ tsp each of salt and pepper. Bring to a slight boil and stir in the pad thai noodles. turn down the heat to medium. Let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally throughout or until noodles are soft. Turn off heat.
- Divide the noodles into bowls and top with your sesame shrimp. Enjoy!