I love the combination of sweet and savory in one, unified bite. I love the way they balance each other out. One of the best representations of this taste duo is pairing fruit with meat. It can bring delicate and bold notes into one forkful. This is a little poetic for my easy Crock-Pot recipe today but, I wanted to let you know why I enjoyed this dish so much! My love for the slow cooker continues with today’s recipe for Crock-Pot Pork Carnitas Tacos.
To touch quickly back on my affinity for fruit and meat pairings, I want to explain why the pineapple that’s tops off these tacos is the ideal match for the pork. The acid in this bright fruit offsets the spiced and charred shredded pork. And when you add a little avocado into the mix to soften out the flavor it simply becomes a homerun!
Now onto why this recipe is a great meal for any night of the week. All you need to do is set that crockpot and walk away. Then when you are just about ready to serve you dice up your taco toppings and warm the tortillas. It’s that simple. Taco Tuesdays got a big revamp in my house with this variation.
One other big tip to make your slow-cooking lives even easier. I have the the Cuisinart 3 in one cooker that allows you to brown meat, saute or steam vegetables and slow cook (less pans = less cleanup!) . It also has the timer function and automatically shifts to warm once the set time is complete. So I can truly leave for work and have my meal ready and warm when I return home. I can’t rave about it enough. This is NOT an ad, just a recommendation from someone who loves their kitchen tool. But, I’m sharing my Amazon link below if you want to consider adding it to your kitchen wish list.
It’s worth the investment! 🙂
…all for the love of the dish
- 3lb pork tenderloin
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- Juice from an orange and lime
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup pineapple diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro minced
- 12 white corn soft tortillas
- Lime for garnish
- Add pork, juice from lime and orange, diced sweet onion, Brown Sugar and all spices to crockpot. Cook on high for 5 Hours
- Shred the pork.
- Meanwhile set broiler to high and put diced pineapple on foil lined baking sheet. Broil for 7-10 minutes or until the fruit start to char.
- Finely dice the onion and avocado and mince the cilantro.
- Heat your tortillas by using an ungreased small skillet on medium high heat. Working one by one add tortillas to skillet and cook for about 30-40 seconds flipping half way through.
- Fill tortillas with pork then top with your onion, avocado, pineapple and cilantro and a squeeze of lime