Sweet potato recipes take two! As promised, I’m sharing a second sweet potato focused dinner this week. Why, because they are full of great nutrients, they are super versatile, and let’s not forget how tasty they are. I’m keeping the orange and autumn themed recipes going. I got the inspiration for this Crockpot Chipolte Sweet Potato Bisque from one of my favorite Fall past-times. This past-time is a visit to Delicious Orchards, a local New Jersey Apple Orchard and market. Aside from the BEST apple cider donuts, apple cider, and fresh apples they carry some seriously tasty foods in all categories. One is this exact soup.
Now, I don’t have their recipe (although they should feel free to send my way). But, I did my best to pull this together with their soup’s taste profile in mind. I love the thick, creamy sweet potato paired with that kick of heat. And of course, I made it in the crockpot. It makes this already simple recipe, a no-brainer.
You will need a blender or an immersion blender for this recipe. And, as a PSA if you don’t already own an immersion blender it’s worth the money. It is life changing when it comes to soups and sauces. No more pouring back and forth from pots to blenders. It’s less clean-up, less time, and much creamier results.
Here’s a link to the one I own and it’s great!
Now on to the easy recipe!
…all for the love of the dish
- 5lbs sweet potatoes, largely diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 28oz vegetable stock
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (Come in a can-Find in aisle where goya products are typically)- use 1 pepper if you want to test heat for a first time.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Put diced sweet potatoes, sliced onion, vegetable stock, chipolte peppers, salt and pepper in crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours OR high for 3-4.
- Use an immersion or regular blender to pulse until soup is thick and creamy.
- Add in sour cream and blend again. Adjust with any additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with a dallop of sour cream (optional)