Time to dust off those crockpots. And let’s be serious, who’s not excited for that? Crockpot meals are the ultimate weeknight dinners. Just drop the ingredients in and hours later, a full meal is ready for you! I’m kicking off the season with a light and healthy soup. Today’s recipe is a Crockpot White Bean, Escarole and Tortellini Soup.
I love tortellini in soups. It makes them heartier with the extra bites of filling. I thought pairing my tortellini with an Italian favorite, escarole and beans, would be a great blend. And spoiler alert, it was. I also kept it fully vegetarian with using my favorite Bouillon cubes as the broth base. So meatless Monday’s we are ready to take you on with this recipe.
For a great recipe cheat for those of you short on time, buy a pre-diced mirepoix mixture for your carrots, onion and celery. (I Totally did this). It may cost you an extra buck or two but its less clean-up and prep. It also TRULY makes this a dump and go recipe.
Here’s how I ate my soup:
- With a side of warm crusty bread to dip in the broth
- a side salad with spring greens with lemon juice and olive oil as the dressing
- in the company of some friends as this soup yields a family size portion!
Now here’s the easy recipe….
…all for the love of the dish
- 10 cups water
- 6 low sodium Vegetable Bouillon cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 carrot sticks, diced
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 4 cups washed and sliced escarole
- 1 can cannelloni beans
- Shaved Parmesan for topping (Optional)
- Places diced carrots, onions, and celery in the crockpot. Add water, Bouillon cubes, bay leaves, salt and pepper to the pot as well.
- Cook on high for 3 hours ( You can try on low for 6 hours however; I personally haven't tried this)
- Add tortellini, sliced escarole and white beans. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve in large bowls with shaved Parmesan to top each bowl off.