I was in a snacky kind of mood when I created this week’s recipes. First you got your savory with the Crunchy Ranch Roasted Chickpeas and now you get your sweet! These Dark Chocolate, Pistachio & Peanut Butter Granola Bars will satisfy your sweet tooth and give you a quick boost of protein while you munch.
These bars are SUPER easy to make and yet it took me about five tries to perfect them. Thankfully I took all the guess work and technique fails away for you so you’ll get great bars on the very first try. The first step was working to perfect the oat binding flavors. I found that peanut butter, brown sugar, honey and some warming spices were a great combination. Then it was mastering the consistency. I had a handful of attempts that turned into crumbly granola instead of formed bars. I was frustrated to say the least.
So do you want to know the secret to getting these into bar form? REALLY pushing your oat mixture into that pan. I got a little help from the flat side of a meat tenderizer to help me press the oats down. I pressed for about 1 minute before letting cool and did a happy dance when I was ready to cut into the bars. It worked!
Now that I know the magic trick to granola bars I have a feeling any and every combination will be made in my house the next few months! The ingredients are mostly household staples so there won’t be a shortage of supplies. I also have the three tools you need to make these a success on hand at all times, parchment paper, a loaf pan and a meat tenderizer tool.
But, now you can too! I’m sharing links to these 3 granola bar critical items so you can become an aficionado at home:
…all for the love of the dish
- 1.5 Cups old fashioned oats (not the quick kind)
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted (de-shelled) pistachios
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Add oats and pistachios to a lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes to lightly toast.
- While the oats and nuts bake, add butter, brown sugar, peanut butter, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a small saucepan.
- Over very low heat, slowly mix together as a warmed sauce forms. Continue to stir until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Once oats are done toasting add to a medium bowl. Pour in peanut butter sauce mixture. Stir well until all oats are coated.
- Let mixture sit for 15 minutes to slightly cool.
- Stir in half the chocolate chips.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Pour in oat mixture. Push down with the palm of your hand to spread the mixture out until it evenly hits all sides of the pan.
- top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Fold over the sides of the parchment paper and using the flat side of a meat tenderizer (or the palm of your hand or back of a spatula) push down on the mixture. continue to do this hitting all parts of the pan. Repeat for a about 1 minute.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours
- remove bars by lifting out the sides of the parchment paper from the pan.
- Cut into bars and serve!
Store for 3-4 days