Zucchini season is here in all of its glory. If you’re a home gardener you’re googling new recipes daily to use up your haul (I have some more recipes, here, here and here to help you out! Actually, there are too many I love so just search zucchini on the site for the full index). If you’re like me, you’re just the lucky recipient of those gardens’ extra vegetables and no planting work is required. But one extra large zucchini from my parent’s house led to these indulgent Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. And I’m not mad about it, they are crazy good.
And by good I mean moist, rich, and over the top with chocolate. The best part of using zucchini in baking is the density it gives to the finished product. It slims the chance of having a dry cake and amps up all the best qualities. These muffins were no exception. It’s certainly a lesson in willpower not to want to eat the whole batch. But, hey they have vegetables in them so there’e one check on the plus side, right?
I decided to make muffins after my coworkers put in repeated requests for a “baked good” from me for the past 2 weeks. I thought this would ration off each person’s serving so everyone could get a taste. And let’s be real, I need to ration myself too. Thank goodness I promised these to my work friends, otherwise I would have devoured them all myself. Well, suffice it to say, the dozen muffins were gone by mid day and there were happy bellies in out office.
I really likes making them this way rather than in loaf form because there was less cleanup. Muffin liners are key here people! They also didn’t crumble as I sliced, because well… I didn’t need to slice! And I was able to add chocolate chips to the top of each to evenly distribute. So no one got the short end of the chips, so to speak 😉
The follow-up requests have already begun. And if it means I get another muffin myself I may just have to give in.
…all for the love of the dish
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a muffin with 12 liners.
- Wash and dry your zucchini. Using a large cheese grater, shred the zucchini until there is 2 cups. Put shredded zucchini aside.
- Mix together all dry ingredients except for your sugar in a bowl (Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt, Cinnamon and Cocoa Powder). You Do not need hand mixer to mix here-simply use a whisk or fork. Put aside for later use.
- In another large bowl mix together (using your hand mixer) the eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil.
- Gradually add the zucchini to the wet mixture, then the dry ingredients, and lastly mix in half of your dark chocolate chips. Beat until combined but do not over mix.
- Pour your batter evenly into muffin liners and top with remaining half of chocolate chips.
- Place muffin pan in the oven. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you insert into a muffin to test.