Spoiler alert! The next few recipes will ALL be featuring farmer’s market finds. It’s the best time of the year to be using up all those garden type vegetables. It’s also those hot hot August days where you just want to eat something light and fresh. I’ll be sharing three recipes that all use some of the same ingredients. This way, your one market or garden haul will yield three awesome dishes and less waste! The first up is the catch-all recipe for Farmer’s Market Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Bowls.
Bowls are all the “rage” these days. from Poke, to Acai, to Ramen, everything can now be perfectly placed in a bowl for a blended meal. I thought this would be the ideal way to showcase all of Augusts’ best produce for a delicious dish. Sweet corn is my all-time favorite this time of year so that just had to be included. Sweet peppers, juicy tomatoes, and delicate squash were also prime-time veggies to showcase. I actually slow roast the tomatoes so they become sweet and tender. It’s my favorite part of the salad! I threw in some orzo tossed with basil for texture and threw all of this and the chicken over leafy spinach.
It’s such a robust salad that you don’t want to lose all the flavors under a heavy dressing. I just mixed it with my favorite go-to of fresh lemon juice and olive oil. It just enhances the already bright flavors in the bowl.
This meal is super simple and very healthy! I’ll be whipping these chicken and vegetable bowls up for the rest of the season.
…all for the love of the dish
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 ears sweet corn
- 1 bell pepper or 4 mini bell peppers
- 3 plum (san marzano) tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1 cup orzo, cooked and cooled
- 1 medium zucchini
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for cooled orzo
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- For Dressing:
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash produce. Slice zucchini and peppers, cut corn off cobs, slice tomatoes into 4-5 slices cutting vertically so they are longer slices. Chop the basil.
- Place tomatoes on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. On a separate baking sheet, add zucchini and bell peppers. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Leave room for the chicken breasts on one or both of the pans. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Halve your chicken breasts and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to cook. After vegetable have cooked for 25 minutes, add chicken to the baking sheets and continue to cook for an additional 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small saute pan until glistening. Add corn and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lastly, toss your cooked orzo with 1 tbsp each of white wine vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and half the chopped basil.
- Make the dressing. Juice the lemon, add the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix.
- Compose the salad equally into 4 bowls. Start with a bottom layer of spinach. Add in sections your roasted chicken, roasted peppers, tomatoes, and zucchini, the orzo salad and corn. Top off with remaining basil and dressing.