I like quinoa however; my use of this grain was feeling very tired lately. I was convinced there was a way to make it more exciting and flavorful but, I just had not discovered it yet. The thing about quinoa its cooked just by itself it is pretty bland. This very flaw of quinoa is also it’s positive characteristic. Quinoa takes on the flavor(s) of whatever you cook it in or with. It’s a blank canvas that you can get creative with. So with that this French Onion Quinoa Casserole was born.
In today’s recipe I “infused” quinoa with homemade French onion soup. The dish was simple and the result was delectable. The casserole is a unique interpretation of a classic dish. I enjoyed putting mine in individual soup bowls or ramekins to give the allure of a true French onion soup. However; you can just as easily fill a small casserole dish with the cooked quinoa and top with your cheese for a family style approach.
Enjoy this as a meatless Monday meal or serve up as a side dish next to your favorite chicken or beef dish.
if you’re looking for another great quinoa dish- check out my Shrimp and Veggie Quinoa Fried Rice
… all for the love of the dish
- 1 onion, sliced
- tbsp olive oil
- tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup wine
- 2 & 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 & 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 slices low fat provolone cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium-low in a small sauce pan. Add the sliced onions and let "caramelize" for 45 minutes. They should be very soft and slightly browned.
- Slowly stir in the flour to coat the onions.
- Pour in the wine and let reduce for 3-4 minutes.
- Add beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, and the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the quinoa. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender.
- While the quinoa is cooking turn your broiler on low and get your soup bowls or casserole dish ready.
- Pour cooked quinoa into dish(s) and top with the provolone cheese.
- Place under the broiler for about 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted, slightly bubbling and just turning a golden hue.
- Remove and serve.