Happy Cinco de Mayo Everyone! This is one of my favorite days of the year. Who doesn’t love sipping margaritas and munching on Mexican food with friends in celebration? It’s your excuse to party it up during the work week and binge eat tacos and tamales. Well, and now this Garlic Black Bean Dip with tortilla chips of course.
And it’s all in the name of the Mexican victory in the Battle of Puebla back in the late 1800s. (This is the origin of the holiday. I am somewhat embarrassed I had to look this up because I did not know the cause for this celebratory day. But, here is you history fun fact of the day!)
I thought it would be fun to provide you with some recipe inspiration for your own Cinco de Mayo festivities. I made this kicked up black bean dip last Saturday as an afternoon snack and knew it was a recipe worth sharing. The recipe is super simple, takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and will be the hit of your Mexican themed fiesta!
Now go on eat up and have a shot of tequila for me 😉 cheers!
…all for the love of the dish!
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 tbsp reserved juice from can of beans
- 2 tbsps Cholula Hot Sauce (1 for in dip and 1 to top)
- 2 limes ( 1 for bean dip & 1 for crema)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp perfect pinch Fiesta Citrus spice
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Tools Needed- Blender or Food Processor
- Pour the can of black beans, reserved juice from beans, garlic clove, 1 tbsp hot sauce, and perfect pinch spices into the food processor/blender. Squeeze the juice of one of the limes over the ingredients. Pulse/Blend for about 2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Pour into your dip’s serving bowl. Evenly pour the additional 1 tbsp of hot sauce over the bean dip and put aside.
- Clean out the food processor/blender to make the crema.
- Peel and cut your avocado into thick slices. Place the avocado slices, Greek yogurt, and salt into the food processor/blender. Squeeze the juice of the second lime over the ingredients. Blend for about 1 minute or until smooth.
- Dollop the crema on top of the bean dip. Garnish with cilantro (optional). Serve with chips of your choice!
- I selected Dippin’ Chips Three Bean chips for mine and they paired perfectly. They are also gluten free of course (The dips is gluten free as well in case you were wondering)!