The one thing I’ve noticed about going any diet is as soon as you can’t have something, you want it. It’s funny, going into this whole eating gluten free thing I assumed the hardest part would be omitting my obvious favorites…bread and pasta. And while they were a larger part of my everyday life and I do absolutely miss them; my cravings have been for more random dishes that were a rarity in my diet to begin with! Things like cereal, cookies and cake. Pretty much the sweet stuff. That said, this Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread hit the spot!
I have always thought of myself as a savory eater overall. I would typically choose a meal over dessert anytime. But lately, all I have wanted was chocolate cake. I remembered a chocolate zucchini bread recipe I used to make that was always a favorite. That’s when the idea to try and make a similar loaf, except gluten free, took hold. My only problem…I am certainly not a baker. But, the struggle was becoming real to fulfill my chocolate craving.
Adapting from the original recipe (Which you can find on underthehighchair.com), I compiled a list of ingredients typically used to make zucchini bread. I settled on making mine a dark chocolate version and noticed that my only issue with making the bread gluten free would be the flour. After mulling over the various gluten free flour options at the grocery store I decided to take a shot in the dark. In the end, I went with coconut flour and gluten free all-purpose flour to mix together for my zucchini bread.
I had no expectations for this zucchini bread. It was simply an experiment I hoped would work out for the best. Lucky for me, it did! My zucchini bread came out fantastic (I happily ate it for breakfast and/or dessert the next few days). It had a slightly crisp outer layer that lead into a moist, luscious, and of course deeply chocolaty center. The dark chocolate chips are a good touch. You cannot even tell that this treat is gluten free. I’ll be making this recipe again and again. Try it out for yourself 🙂
Enjoy for breakfast, dessert or even a sweet snack!
If you’re looking for a reason to indulge here is an article on 21 surprising health benefits of Dark Chocolate! https://www.cookingdetective.com/sweet-dark-and-mysterious-dark-chocolate/
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (About 1 & 1/2 medium zucchinis)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Tools needed- Hand mixer
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and dry your zucchini. Using a large cheese grater, shred the zucchini until there is 1 & ½ cups. Put shredded zucchini aside.
- Mix together (Do not need hand mixer to mix here-simply use a whisk or fork) all dry ingredients except for your sugar in a bowl ( Coconut Flour, Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt, Cinnamon and Cocoa Powder). Put aside for later use.
- In another large bowl mix together (using your hand mixer) the eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil.
- Gradually add the zucchini to the mixture, then the dry ingredients, and lastly the dark chocolate chips. Beat until combined but do not over mix.
- Pour your batter into a greased loaf pan and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 55 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan until easy to touch (About 15-20 minutes). Then remove from the pan (I scraped a knife along the sides of the pan to help provide some wiggle room to remove) and let sit for another 15-20 minutes.