Every Christmas season I start to brainstorm what small bites I’ll be whipping up to entertain guests and bring to all those holiday parties. This year one of my scrumptious creations is Caramelized Pear, Gorgonzola and Prosciutto Flat Bread Bites. I’m so excited to share these with everyone…including the recipe with all of you!
The ironic part is that I typically get asked to bring the same two appetizers for every occasion. One dish being my “mom’s” famous recipe for cranberry meatballs. The other, raspberry brie cups. Why haven’t I put them on the blog yet you ask? Well, it turns out my mom’s recipe for the cranberry meatballs are actually one that was trademarked by Oceanspray (But I encourage you to look it up; it’s SUPER easy and they always win over the crowd). As for the brie cups, they may come one day but, today isn’t the day!
The thing about these two recipes is that while they are my staples, I am someone who always wants to try making new dishes (I did start a blog for a reason). When my friends and family ask for me to bring one of these two, I oblige. However; I always bring an extra dish and it’s one of my latest creations.
This year’s winner for the occasions is today’s recipe. These caramelized pear, Gorgonzola and prosciutto flat bread bites are a decadent addition to any celebration. The buttery, sweet pears harmonize perfectly with the salty combination of the creamy cheese and crispy cured meat. Who knows, maybe they will become my next staple recipe that is requested for every event!
Try them for yourselves and you and your very happy guests can be the judges.
…all for the love of the dish
- 12-14 pita bites (Equivalent to 1 package of pita bread bites - I bought Touyafan brand)
- 1 pear, diced
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2/3 cup fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/3 crumbled gorgonzola
- 2 slices of prosciutto, sliced into thin ½ inch slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- balsamic glaze for drizzling (optional)
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium/low heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Stir in the diced pears. Allow to caramelize and slowly simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a foiled baking sheet with the empty pita shells. Brush the pitas with olive oil. Evenly distribute the fontina and gorgonzola cheeses across the bites. Add a small slice or two of prosciutto to each and top with caramelized pear bites.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and pitas are turning golden brown.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze if you please and serve on your most festive serving platter!