Hi Readers! Before I get into a PSA I need to make, let’s first get excited about these Greek Burgers with Avocado Relish and Spicy Carrot Fries. A healthy, complete meal that is just so darn delicious.
First, I want to make a Public Service announcement and then I’ll get on to the recipe. I have gone Gluten Free, or at least I am trying to for 30 days. There are a handful of reasons that people go Gluten Free. It could be that they are hopping on the diet trend bandwagon. Or that they suffer from Celiac Disease. And many, life me, are trying it out for another health reason.
A little over two years ago I found out I had Fibromyalgia. I won’t go into detail other than that it is a chronic pain condition because, that’s not what this post or my blog is about. I want to keep it light here! Long story short after a recommendation from the doctor and a bit of research, I decided to give the Gluten Free thing a shot.
I almost feel like a hypocrite starting this journey. In the past I have always said NO WAY would I ever give up pasta or bread. Even if it meant that it makes me a feel a little better. And I still have entirely convinced myself that even if it does really help I would give these things up for good. However; I thought I owed it to myself to try this out. If after 30 days I see great results, I’ll have to evaluate where to go from there. I am a little over a week in and haven’t caved yet.
In honor of my temporary “diet” I will be featuring Gluten-Free friendly recipes for the entire month of April. I am also trying to line up some fun interviews and highlights of products, restaurants etc. that provide Gluten Free offerings.
Now that I have shared that background I am excited to bring you the first Gluten Free friendly recipe in this series.
…all for the love of the dish
- Ingredients for Spicy Carrot Fries:
- 10 medium-large carrots
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Ingredients for Avocado Relish:
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cup chick peas
- 2 small lemons (or 1 large)
- salt and pepper
- Ingredients for Greek Burgers:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/2 tsp fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel your carrots. Cut the carrots in half and then halve them twice more until they are stick shaped.
- Lay all carrots on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red pepper (a little goes a long way).
- Cook in the oven for approximately 40 minutes are until slightly browned and crispy
- Mince onion and finely chop the dill. Add these along with feta cheese, oregano, salt and pepper to the ground beef. Mix everything into the beef. Form 4 (1/4 pounders) patties with the beef mixture.
- Heat up a large pan on your stovetop (if you don’t have a grill like me…feel free to grill these up if you have one available!). Once the pan is hot add the patties and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Slice the avocado into square bites and add to bowl. Dice the tomato and add into bowl along with the chickpeas. Squeeze the juice of your lemon(s) and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with a spoon. Use to top your burgers!