Today’s recipe is a continued celebration of New Jersey’s famous produce. A few weeks ago I shared a Jersey Tomato salad showcasing one of August’s most famous crops in the garden state. For this recipe I am sharing another one of our summer star vegetables, Jersey corn! But, the star of the recipe is really the garlic chili butter it’s slathered in.
When in season, corn can be so sweet and crisp. And while I once again agree that eating this vegetable almost plain (maybe just a dash of butter) shows off its absolute best flavor; it’s also fun to liven it up sometimes! This recipe definitely takes corn on the cob to a fiery new level.
I love the flavor of grilled corn because it takes on an additional flavor dimension with the bits of char and smokiness. This alone brings the corn into a new light. But, when I paired it with homemade garlic chili butter and a squeeze of fresh lime juice it transformed. It suddenly had a zesty, bright pop of flavor that was undeniably delicious. My only regret was not grilling up seconds for myself!
This recipe is quick and easy and that garlic chili butter will spice up any backyard BBQ.
…all for the love of the dish
- ¼ tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 ears of corn
- For the Butter:
- Let butter stand at room temperature until soft (not melted-it should still be solid)
- Using a spoon mix in the garlic and chili powder. Form the butter into a ball and put back in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- For the Corn:
- Optional Step- Remove the silks and inner husk leaves. Pull back the larger leaves from the corn. Using 2 of the back leaves tie the remaining husk together into a bow before grilling.
- If you prefer to remove the entire husk you can also do so
- Heat grill and place the corn with its husks on the grill racks. Cook for about 10 minutes, turning every 2 or 3 minutes to cook evenly. You’ll know its done when the corn deepens in color and starts to slightly char.
- Rub down the corn with the garlic chili butter and squeeze a slice of a lime over each piece.