Today’s post has me all wrapped up! A little food pun fun for the day. I’m sharing my new weeknight favorite today. Introducing Healthy Beef and Black Bean Burritos. I froze a ton of these in preparation for the pregnancy and they quickly became my husband’s preferred meal.
The concept is fairly straight forward. Fill up a whole burrito wrap with your favorite toppings and bake for a few minutes. I’m setting these apart from the crowd with a homemade burrito seasoning for the meat. I also added some fire roasted diced tomatoes in the mix for an extra pop of flavor. These little tweeks make all the difference when you’re trying to use wholesome ingredients. They pack in the flavor to hide just how healthy the meal is!
One recipe tip I want to share is on rolling the burritos. One reason I stayed away from making wraps and burritos for so long was because they always fell apart. I could never get that tight wrap necessary to be successful. But, I stumbled upon this post from one of my favorite sites, The Kitchn, and it made all the difference. This little reference quickly made me a pro! So I just had to share it with all of you too.
Serve these up with some avocado slices (the cool, creamy bites will offset your toasty wraps) and your favorite salsa for a little Mexican fiesta at your house.
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes (I used a fire roasted variation with green chili’s -but not required)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 4-6 whole wheat burrito wraps
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- For homemade taco seasoning:
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Brown ground beef in a sauté pan on stovetop.
- While meat is browning make the taco seasoning. Mix all spices together well.
- Once all pink is gone from ground beef, add 1/4 cup water and all spices. Let simmer for another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix together cooked brown rice, black beans, drained diced tomatoes and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and compose your burritos.
- Put cheese, then meat and rice mixture. Roll your burritos and place ok baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with avocado slices, salsa, and/or hot sauce!