So before I go into today’s recipe I had to address the so called elephant in the room. If you’re one of a large population of America who watches This is Us you’re probably wondering how I could possibly be sharing a crock-pot recipe just 2 short days after the show. I won’t give any further spoilers away but you have to live under a rock not to know that the crock-pot played a detrimental role in the most recent plot. Well, similar to this PR brilliance of an ad (worth a quick watch/read) from the Crock-Pot company, I’m going to embrace this cooking gadget rather than toss it in the garbage. So for those of you still on the bandwagon today I’m sharing my Healthy Crock-Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
Lately, I have needed some easy meals to get me through the week. All those baby preparation classes at the hospital, doctor’s appointments, and wrapping up my duties in my day-job have been taking a toll on my food prep. So, the crock-pot has been a close friend the past few weeks. I was craving some South of the border flavors last week so I decided to create a new take on enchiladas. The best part was that I just dumped all the ingredients and went about my day. It’s also a pretty well balanced meal with tons of veggies, brown rice and lean chicken breasts.
The one recipe note I will have is that the rice does get very soft because you are cooking for an extended period. It takes on a risotto type consistency. But, I personally liked it this way. I just wanted to warn you that if you are looking for al-dente rice you’ll need to adjust the recipe to remove it from the slow-cooker.
The fun part of this enchilada is topping it off. Here’s some fun ingredient ideas to put the finishing touch on your bowl:
- Avocado slices
- sliced green onion
- MORE grated cheese
- a drizzle of hot sauce
- sliced jalapenos
- sour cream
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast (about 2 large)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 &1/2 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup Zucchini (approx 1 extra Small)
- 1 cup yellow squash (approx 1 extra small)
- 16 oz red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup canned black beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- your chosen toppings to garnish
- Wash and dice all vegetables.
- First add rice and broth to the slow cooker.
- Then top with zucchini, squash, onions and peppers and the spices and pour half the enchilada sauce over these 2 layers.
- Add the 2 chicken breasts and pour in remaining enchilada sauce over top.
- Cook on high for 2.5 hours.
- Remove chicken and cube or shred depending on preference. (If for some reason you chicken doesn't seem cooked through- continue cooking on high for 30 more minutes)
- Add the cubed/shredded chicken back in along with the frozen corn kernels, black beans and cheese.
- Turn slow cooker to low, cover and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Serve and garnish