Cauliflower has become one of my new favorite ingredients. It’s so versatile and healthy. It has such a mild flavor that works perfectly as a canvas to add spices and mold into your own masterpiece meal. On one of the first cold nights of this season I whipped up this Indian Spiced Cauliflower Bisque to bring up my temperature a bit!
I also had received an immersion blender for my birthday and was dying to use it! (It’s a miracle worker by the way!).The bisque was deceivingly healthy because it tastes so creamy and comforting. But with little more than vegetables and spices composing the dish, this recipe is definitely a clean eating meal (It also happens to be gluten free, dairy free, and paleo for all you special dieters out there!).
The other fun part of this dish is the zest from the garam masala (which literally translates to hot spices). I have been trying to play more in the Indian cuisine sandbox. While this is a small baby step, it gives the bisque an extra layer of flavor that is exotic. For any of you unfamiliar with this particular spice it is a mixture of things like clove, nutmeg, pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf etc. These flavors all immediately make me think of autumn and coziness so it was the perfect twist for the big bowl of soup on a Fall day!
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 onion, diced
- tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup low fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp garam masala
- heat oil, add garlic until fragrant. Add cauliflower and let saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, gharam masala, salt and pepper and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or transferring to a blender, puree until smooth. Add the coconut milk, and any salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir and let simmer for another 5 minutes.