Are any of you guys in a weeknight meal rut lately? I have to tell you, I have had such a hard time drawing inspiration for quick and tasty meals during the week. my guess is that it’s partially because I find food so much less appealing during my pregnancy (Which is a tragedy in itself!). I have a lot more food aversions than I do cravings overall. Protein and vegetables have been my biggest hurdle. When I have that moment of, “Oh that sounds good”, I try to monopolize on it. So when I was building out my weekly menu and the thought of meatloaf sounded tasty, I pounced on the opportunity! I’d get some good lean protein and have an easy recipe on my hands. Now you all will have the same weeknight meal opportunity with these Italian Style Mini Meatloaves.
I love making my meatloaf in individual portions because there is a larger portion of gooey glazed marinara topping in each bite! I also like the crispy outer-edge of the patties so there is also more proportion of this when they are made into miniature size. I’ll point out that clean-up is easier too when you use my minis recipe. Rather than dirtying a whole loaf pan and having to scrub that out, just slap some foil down on a baking sheet. And that’s it, you’re all set.
Is this 30 minute meal not inspired enough for you? Well, you can jazz up your meatloaves even more with some delicious sides for the family. Here’s some ideas to round out the meal:
- Make a simple salad for the side like this Winter Arugula Salad with Candied Pepitas
- Make some Crispy Parmesan Baked Tomatoes to keep with the Italian theme and pull in a veggie!
- Serve over Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes for a comforting meal
…all for the love of the dish
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (I like to use the italian seasoned ones for this recipe, but not required)
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Heat 1tsp olive oil in sauté pan, add diced onion. Cook until soft and translucent - about 5 minutes Remove from heat and add to large bowl. Add beef, panko crumbs, egg, milk, parsley, spices to the bowl. Mix everything until very well blended.
- Form 4 mini meat loaves and put on a foil lined pan.
- Even spread the marinara sauce on the tops of each meatloaf.
- Cook for 23-25 minutes