I finally won my boyfriend over on kale, just in time for that trend to be walking out the door. (Just kidding…it’s still a big hit. B,ut veggies like cauliflower are now trying to steal the spotlight!). This Kale, Brussel Sprout, and Pomegranate Salad is the ideal winter salad.
When I first discovered kale I really didn’t know how to cook it or what to pair it with. It took some failed preparations and some flavor experimentations to realize how easy and versatile this ingredient really is. Now that I understand that kale can be integrated into numerous flavor profiles I use it quite often. I also no longer get the sighs of “oh man…kale for dinner again” from the peanut gallery. This recipe actually received praise while a heaping spoonful of seconds was being scooped onto his dish.
Kale, Brussel Sprout, and Pomegranate Salad is a vibrant and savory. It’s the perfect meal for a time-pinched lunch or dinner. AND if you watch the brands you use, it can also be gluten free.
…all for the love of the dish
- 4 cups of cut kale
- 4 cups of shredded brussel sprouts
- 4 strips thick cut bacon
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 4 slices of bacon (see gluten free recipe notes below). Once done, remove bacon, let cool and chop into small chunks. Remove all but a tiny bit of the bacon fat (about 1 tsp). Add the olive oil to the pan and let warm up over medium heat.
- Wash, massage, and dry your kale using paper towels to dab any access water off. *Massaging the leaves in between your hands for a couple of minutes apparently helps to break down the cellulose and betters the flavor of this bitter green.
- Add the kale to the food processor. Pulse for 1 second intervals pressing the button about 10 times. You want your leaves shredded not liquidized! If you do not have a food processor you can thinly slice the kale to be in shredded size pieces for the salad.
- The next step would be shredding the brussel sprouts BUT I totally cheated and bought them at Trader Joes already shredded. If you don't have this as an option you can use the food processor the same way to shred or cut them down yourself.
- Add the kale and brussel spouts to the oil and fat in the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon, salt, pepper and stir.
- Mix in the blue cheese (see gluten free recipe notes below), bacon, and pomegranate seeds.
- Divide out into bowls and you are ready to indulge!