I love Spring vegetables! They are all so fresh, crispy and bright. Artichokes are one of my favorite Spring food flings. They are best in season from March until May. I have always loved artichokes but, admittedly I have been a bit intimidated to make them at home. I began playing around with cooking them in a crock pot and soon realized how easy it was. And with that came these delicious mini stuffed artichokes with lemon, herbs, and prosciutto!
While I was experimenting with these recipes I was also doing my 30 days gluten free challenge. This meant attempting to make delicious stuffed artichokes without breadcrumbs. I was not sure it would be possible because the breadcrumbs are often my favorite part. I prepared a mixture of garlic, herbs, cheese and prosciutto that I stuffed into the leaves instead of breadcrumbs. This bread-free stuffing paired with a lemony white wine broth made for a delectable dish.
A few minutes of prep and into the crock pot the stuffed artichokes go. It’s all it takes to cook up these snacking worthy vegetables.
…all for the love of the dish
- 4 mini globe artichokes (I bought at Trader Joes) or 2 regular artichokes
- handful each of basil, parsley and sage
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 2 large lemons (and rinds)
- 2 slices of prosciutto
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Tools Needed- Food Processor or Blender and Crock Pot
- Wash your artichokes. Cut the stem off and the first ½ inch off the top of the artichoke. Rub tops of artichokes with half of lemon to avoid browning. Using scissors snip the tips off of the artichoke leaves. Pull the leaves apart as far as you can so that the stuffing can get in between each leaf. Lastly, squeeze half of a lemon into the center of each of the artichokes. (Do not dispose of the lemon rinds)
- Wash herbs and cut garlic cloves in quarters. Place cheese, garlic and herbs in food processor/blender. Pulse for about 30 seconds.
- Cut 2 slices of prosciutto into thin slices. Add to the cheese mixture. Stuff the center of the artichokes followed by their outer leaves.
- Pour chicken broth and white wine into the crock pot and turn on high. Place the artichokes into the broth, drizzle the top of each with olive oil and place lemon rinds over top of everything. Cover and cook for 2 ½ hours.
- Serve the artichokes with some of white wine broth poured over them.