Lettuce cups are such a fun vessel to get creative with the fillings. The bright, crisp lettuce can take on pretty much any flavor combination you fill it with. While using Thai ingredient is far from outside the box for lettuce wraps, it really does make for a delicious meal. For instance, today’s recipe for Lemongrass Ginger Turkey Lettuce Wraps.
This dish is another fast and easy weeknight dinner idea. My freezer almost always has ground turkey in it as meal backup. For that exact reason, these wraps feature turkey but, can easily be swapped for ground chicken if you prefer. I used creamy coconut milk, zesty fresh lemongrass, ground ginger and a hint of red chili paste for bite as the sauce’s base. Red bell pepper and carrot matchsticks serve as color and the cashews add the needed crunch.
Hope you enjoy these tasty lettuce wraps! And if you’re on a Thai kick like me, there’s plenty more inspiration in the Recipe Box!
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
- 10 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 5 baby carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp red chili paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ground lemongrass
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted cashews
- Sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- Heat tsp olive oil in large skillet. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add bell pepper and carrots and cook for 3 minutes or so and then add the ground turkey.
- Cook the turkey all the way through. Then add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce and red chili paste. Bring to a simmer. Using a spice grater or a regular fine cheese grater, grate 1 tbsp of fresh lemongrass. Add the lemongrass, ginger, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the skillet. Mix well and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Scoop the turkey mixture into your lettuce cups and top with cashews and green onions before serving.