This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Mazola® Corn Oil. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeItMazola #simpleswap #CollectiveBias
You guys know how much I love creating new speedy dinner meals! With limited kitchen time each night I try to make dishes that require little cleanup but still deliver on taste. I’m also a big advocate for making approachable meals that are better for you overall. Today’s recipe for One-Pot Chicken, Mushrooms and Butternut Squash Skillet is all of the above ie. quick, easy and light! To kick start this meal I used Mazola® Corn Oil. A clinical study showed Mazola® Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see MAZOLA.com
Speaking of cooking with oil, the reason this dish is perfect for using Mazola Corn Oil is because corn oil is neutral in taste, so it won’t impact the flavor dynamic I’ve created in the sauce. It’s also got a higher smoke point than most cooking oils at 450°F so when your sautéing your chicken you won’t negatively affect the food’s flavor and nutritional value. Did you even know that can happen when exceeding an oil’s smoke point? Well if you didn’t here is your cooking tip for the day! You want to use an oil with a high smoke point when using cooking methods like sautéing and stir frying. I just love that Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose cooking oil that can be used for a variety of cooking methods AND is heart healthy.
Now to speak to this individual recipe, let me tell you why this needs to be a Fall favorite. This dish was all about the lighter swap outs to make it a smart dinner decision. The first is using Mazola Corn Oil for our oil to cook the chicken and veggies instead of butter. The next variation on the dish I made was using low fat, low sodium, vegetable broth. There is so much salt in everything we eat, so anyway to reduce my intake, I’m doing it! I also kicked the heavy cream to the curb and used light, unsweetened coconut milk. I promise, you don’t taste coconut in the end product. It just gives the sauce a creamier texture while also adding a dimension of flavor.
This meal is full of seasonal flavors and better for you ingredients. It’s on the table in just about 30 minutes and with only one pot to wash at the end, truly what’s not to love?
…all for the love of the dish!
One-Pot Chicken, Mushrooms and Butternut Squash Skillet
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2-4 servings
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 and 1/4 cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup light, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sage leaves (about 5)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp Mazola Corn Oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash, dry and cut all produce. Remove thyme leaves from stems.
- Remove chicken from package, pat dry, season well with salt and pepper (about 1/4 tsp total of each), and add Thyme leaves to top side of chicken.
- Heat 1 tbsp Mazola Corn Oil in a large, deep saute pan over Medium high heat. Once glistening, add chicken and cook until its just under being all the way done (about 5 minutes per side). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe pan and then add 1 tbsp Mazola Corn Oil. Once glistening, add sage and shallots. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add in mushrooms and squash. Cook for 5 minutes then cover the pan so the butternut squash starts to soften. Cook for 10 minutes covered. Check butternut squash is easy to cut through with a fork (it should be by now, if not continue cooking for another few minutes). remove sage leaves and discard from the vegetable mix.
- Once vegetables are cooked, add in vegetable broth, coconut milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring saute pan to a simmer.
- Add chicken back in and cook for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is full cooked through (no pink remains).