One of the simplest healthy meals to make during the week is a stir-fry. It’s typically full of veggies and provides a big dose of protein. There’s also usually only minutes between sauté pan and table. Well, I’m fitting the mold with today’s recipe for a simple Pork and String Bean Stir-Fry.
Through one of the box meals subscriptions I’ve tried over the last year ( I honestly forget which one) I had ground pork in a stir fry. I realized the meat got crumbly and a little crispy on the edges and I loved the effect. I incorporated it into my own version today so you can try for yourself!! I also cook down the string beans by sauté to brown and then steaming to get them extra soft like you get when you order in an Asian takeout meal. In most dishes I like extra crunch in my veggies but for this particular meal I think the beans softened.
The stir fry sauce is salty, tangy and has a faint sweet heat. It hits all the right notes for the perfect tossable coating for the pork and string beans. It becomes my own, much healthier version, of a takeout favorite! Oh did I mention you’ll have it on the table quicker than your delivery would arrive? Save your money and help your waist line in one fell swoop (who came up with that saying?! Haha).
Are you salivating yet? I know I’m getting hungry for this dish again as I write this. Thank goodness its so easy to make so I know I’ll be having to again ASAP!
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 cups string beans
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 & 1/3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium Tamari
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp crushes red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a small sauce pot. Stir in rice, bring back to a boil. Then turn to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until liquid absorbed and rice cooked through.
- While rice cooks, mince garlic, wash and cut ends off string beans and start cooking the stir fry.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large sauté pan, that has a lid, over medium high heat. Add ground pork and cook until no pink remains. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe out any access liquid from the pan if there is any. Bring pan back to a medium heat and add another tbsp of oil. Then add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add string beans and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of water and cover the sauté pan. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While string beans cook, make the sauce.
- In a bowl combine soy sauce, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil. Stir in crushed red pepper and brown sugar.
- Add the ground pork back to the sauté pan with the green beans. Add the stir fry sauce and mix well. Let simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes. Season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over the Jasmine rice!