I’ve taken up a new morning hobby, working out. I’ve decided I like having my evenings to myself. So I am starting to shift my workout class schedule to pre-work morning times. (And yes, it’s as miserable as it sounds. I give all you early birds credit!). This new AM agenda also means an updated breakfast ritual. While I constantly change my morning meal I am into this new phase of protein overnight oats.
I saw some pictures swirling around the internet of this new healthy trend so I decided to experiment with making some of my own. The concept is mixing a liquid, yogurt, oats, and any added flavors and or toppings together. You then leave this mixture in a bowl or jar overnight so the oats absorb the liquids. I the morning you’ll have cold oatmeal that’s easy to take on the go (which is perfect for me to bring to work).
The best part about this recipe is that I have added some protein powder, chia seeds, and flax seeds to get an additional nutritional boost for my post-workout meal (These are really all optional ingredients and the recipe can just as easily be made without them). For those of you wondering, I use Plant Fusion protein powder which is a vegan based protein and it is dairy, soy, gluten and animal free. It’s perfect for all you health nuts out there.
Instead of yogurt I used pumpkin to give this breakfast a fun Fall twist. I did promise you a handful of pumpkin recipes this month, so I couldn’t let you down!
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup protein powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp flax seed (optional)
- 1 tbsp chia seed (optional)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Whisk together protein powder, cocoa powder, chia seed, flax seed, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in almond milk and pumpkin puree. Finally slowly mix in the oats. Transfer to an 8oz mason jar or simply cover the mixing bowl and place in the refrigerator and let chill overnight (or at least 5-6 hours).
- Optional: When you are ready to eat you can top with a sprinkle of KIND Snacks Maple Quinoa Clusters
One batch of this will last you 2 or 3 mornings