I think maybe I’ve started nesting! Or maybe it’s just pregnancy cravings. Either way, the want to bake has come over me lately. Believe me, this is a rarity. I am usually in the mood to cook big savory meals, not bake cookies. But that’s exactly what has been happening and it’s how these Pumpkin Oatmeal Craisin® Breakfast Cookies came about.
In that moment I was able to convince myself that I should be baking something at least a little healthy, rather than empty calories. These breakfast cookies are fairly guilt free with the main ingredients as bananas, pumpkin and oats. Its essentially seasonal oatmeal in a different format! It’s also why I am considering them breakfast cookies, rather than a dessert treat.
The cookies are ooey gooey because of the banana and pumpkin. The oats give them that homemade cookie appeal. And I love the burst of chewy tartness that Craisins® give cookies lend to the mix. I kept a few for myself but I took the rest in for my coworkers. They were gone in minutes and everyone loved these as a breakfast concept.
Quick, easy, and seasonal flavors were the overarching feedback comments on why these were a hit.
…all for the love of the dish
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 ½ cup oats
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup reduced sugar Craisins®
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly greased.
- Using a blender or food processor blend until just smooth (don’t over mix) the pumpkin, bananas, egg, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl. Using a large spoon mix in the oats and crasins until all blended together.
- Use a heaping spoonful as your measure to form the cookies on the baking sheet. I yielded about 2 dozen breakfast cookies!
- Eat for up to 3-4 days after baking.