Is there anything more summer then a tomato and cucumber salad?! Especially if you are from New Jersey and sweet, juicy tomato season is right around the corner?! Today I whipped up a simple Quinoa, Cucumber and Tomato Salad for your barbecue tables.
Sometimes all you need is just a few fresh and seasonal ingredients to make the most enjoyable dishes. This is one of those recipes. If you have a garden, all you’ll need to add is the quinoa! And if you don’t, it’s just 5 main ingredients at your grocer or farmers market. Even the dressing is just pantry staples. So really this salad is a cheap, no-brainer meal.
What I love most about this salad is that it is cool and crisp for those hot summer days. It’s also very clean eating with no gluten or dairy added in (aka no guilt! Aka more room for burgers and dogs!) And the garlic balsamic dressing it’s topped with really pulls it all together.
So pluck from those gardens or markets and get your chopping block in check to dice those veggies. You’ll have your quinoa salad ready in no time!
OH…And if I’m pairing with wine I’ve heard to match the weight of the wine to the weight of the dressing, so a Savingnon Blanc is a good fit here 😉
…all for the love of the dish
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper taste
- Rinse the dry quinoa with water.
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in quinoa and reduce heat and cover. Let cook for about 15 minutes or until fluffy and liquid is absorbed.
- Let the quinoa fully cool.
- Meanwhile, wash and dice vegetables and make dressing.
- For the dressing, mince the garlic and add that, balsamic, olive oil and salt and pepper to your liking in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Once quinoa is full my cooled. Add the veggies and dressing. Toss well and refrigerate until serving!