Hello Readers, After a week long hiatus due to a nasty little summer flu. I am back just in time for the summer holiday. Today’s post is all about a fun, adults only, recipe to celebrate the patriotic weekend ahead. Red, White and Booze Berry Popsicles are going to be a hit at your celebrations, I promise.
I came across zipicles in a recent trip to World Market. Essentially, these are the long plastic packets that hold the techna-colored fruit pops we loved so much as kids. Who knew they made and sold these empty packets for you to create your own? I had seen plenty of ice pop molds for sale but nothing like these before. Of course I had to purchase to try for myself. Oh, and I now can find them on Amazon for easier access!
I had an upcoming BBQ that I promised to bring something unique to. So I started to brainstorm Popsicle flavor combinations to give the zipicles a shot as my potluck item. That’s when the idea to make them boozy hit me. But, as you all know, alcohol does not freeze. So this was quite a scientific experiment I embarked on. After a couple attempts, I was able to get the right balance and the red, white, and booze berry pops were born.
The great part about these popsicles is that they are made from fresh fruit so they really aren’t all that bad for you (added bonus!).The Raspberry Prosecco pops are tart with a hint of sweet and oh so refreshing. These definitely have a little pizzazz. The Blueberry Coconut Rum pops are like a pina coloada with a blueberry twist. They definitely taste like summer!
Add these boozy pops to your backyard barbecue, 4TH of July celebrations and continue all summer long! Replace some of those beers in the cooler with these fresh and fruity treats!
Note* if you want to make the recipe and use regular popsicle molds it should still work just fine!
…all for the love of the dish
- For Raspberry Prosecco pops:
- 1 6oz container fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup prosecco
- 2/3 cup water
- For Blueberry Coconut Rum Popsicles:
- 8 oz blueberries
- 1 and ¼ cups sweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Malibu coconut rum
- For the Raspberry Prosecco Popsicles:
- Using a blender or food processor, pulse the raspberries and honey until it is a liquid mixture. Pour into a pitcher and add prosecco and water. Using a tall spoon to slowly mix. Line up your zipicle packets. Inset a funnel into the packet and slowly pour your mixture into the packet to the fill line. Repeat with each. Freeze for at least 6-8 hours.
- For the Blueberry Coconut Rum Popsicles:
- Using a blender or food processor, pulse the blueberries until they are a liquid mixture. Pour into a small pitcher or bowl. In a separate pitcher or bowl add the coconut milk and rum and mix. Line up your zipicle packets. Inset a funnel into the packet and slowly pour a small amount of the blueberry mixture than the coconut milk mixture, causing a swirl or layered effect. Do this with each packet switching off until the fill line is reached. Freeze for at least 6-8 hours.