I have a few risotto recipes on my blog and each time I’ve shared I’ve told you I’ve found my secret to creamy risotto. Well, it’s because it’s true. More on that in a little. But first, the reason for today’s post. I realized I didn’t have a plain and simple risotto. If you’ve never made risotto at home, today’s recipe for Simple Creamy Risotto is where to start.
It’s a truly just a base. Make this recipe once, and master it (and believe me it’s decadent on its own). Then you’ll realize the possibilities! I kept the flavors neutral so the sky is the limit in terms of what you can add. Just cook up any veggies or meat before you add the risotto to toast, and then continue on with the same steps!
Here’s some great variations to try:
- asparagus and pancetta
- Butternut squash and mushrooms
- Shrimp and zucchini
I told you I would return to the topic of the technique. So here it is, my trick. Start with the traditional method of slow stirring the liquid in. But on the final liquid pour in, you finish it off, covered, in a piping hot oven. This captures the steam and ensures creamy risotto every time. No more crunch filled bites because the rice didn’t evenly cook through! Or giving up because it just takes too long. This method takes a total of 30 minutes or less.
I’m no longer intimidated to make risottos for any and all occasions. It’s become a simple but luxurious meal to share. I truly loved this risotto all on its own. But, feel free to give it your own flair. Or if you want to wait a week…I’ll be sharing a party time recipe for all this risotto. So stay tuned and be sure to check back.
…all for the love of the dish
Simple Creamy Risotto Recipe
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Cured (Hard) Mahon-Menorca Cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Meanwhile in a deep sauté pan, that is oven safe and has a lid, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about another minute.
- Add in Arborio rice to toast. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so to ensure all rice gets toasted.
- Pour in the wine and cook until liquid is almost gone. Continuing to stir every 30 seconds or so.
- Then working in half cup increments pour in chicken stock, allowing to cook until liquid is almost all absorbed. On the last 1/2 cup, don’t wait until absorbed.
- As soon as you pour the last cup in, cover the pan and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the risotto bakes, chop your parsley and grate the cheese.
- Once you remove the risotto from the oven, immediately stir in the heaven cream and Mahon-Menorca cheese.
- Once the risotto is well mixed and creamy, stir in the lemon zest and fresh parsley to finish it off.
- You’re ready to serve!