Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Shoprite and #WholesomePantry. All thoughts are my own #BBQwithaBuzz
It’s now that transitional period between light Summer staples into cozy comfort Fall food. While I’m excited for all the apples and pumpkin and squash (Oh my!) I’m not ready to let go of the BBQ style food I’ve been enjoying the past few months. Today’s recipe is a great way to turn on the ovens but, still keep the Summer food vibe. I paired up with Wholesome pantry to show you how one jar of their Wholesome Pantry Teriyaki sauce can be transformed into this delicious six ingredient (yes, 6!) meal. Slow Cooked Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs and Cilantro Pineapple Rice is what’s on the menu.
So I’m sharing a cooking technique today I learned from my mother in law. It’s low, slow cooked chicken thighs! Essentially you cook the chicken at a low heat for a long period of time. This keeps the moisture in the chicken to keep it tender. One of the best parts is that its a dump and bake recipe. Add the chicken and marinade to a pan, pop it in the oven, and it’s as easy as that. The other great part of cooking on low heat is that it doesn’t allow for the marinade to burn (Causing that terrible char-burn taste!).
I loved using Wholesome Pantry teriyaki marinade because the chicken gets sticky (in the best way possible). And It’s also so sweet and tangy too. Its so full on flavor and I just enjoy this Asian inspired blend a lot. You can find this exact marinade at your local ShopRite store. But to balance out the sweet chicken I added some bright and tart notes to the rice. It rounds out oven baked BBQ meal.
The rice is the perfect pairing for the chicken. I picked up some brown basmati rice to use as my base. But, honestly, use whatever you have in the house. Make it simple. This works with any plain rice variety (White, brown, jasmine, basmati, etc). After your rice is all cooked and fluffy, you just squirt in some lime juice, chopped cilantro and chopped pineapple. Season with some salt and pepper and there you have it, some gourmet Island style rice.
This dish hits all the flavor high points and gives us that time we need to slowly transition to heavier meals. Heck, I may make this all year round its so tasty.
…all for the love of the dish
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (About 8 pieces)
- 1 jar Wholesome Pantry Teriyaki Marinade
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used brown basmati)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame seeds to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Add chicken to a 9 x 11 cake pan (so it's deeper) and pour whole bottle of teriyaki marinade over chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. about halfway through re-baste the top of the chicken with sauce from pan so it stays moist.
- While Chicken cooks, make the rice. Cook rice according to your specific package. Mine was as simple as 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, let simmer while covered until fluffy.
- Once cooked and still warm, squeeze juice from half of your lime, add cilantro and pineapple. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, add large pile of rice to plate, top with chicken and garnish with lime wedge and sesame seeds (optional).