It’s that time of year, fresh zucchini is everywhere! I know I pick up at least one at my farmers market every time I visit. It’s such a versatile vegetable and I love the challenge of finding new recipes to use them for. This week’s dish is a zucchini boat filled with spicy sausage, spinach and mushrooms.
My task was to create a filling without cheese that would still satisfy! So many zucchini boats that I see top off the combinations with cheese. Believe me, there is nothing wrong with that. The cheese melted on top helps to bind the mixture. And let’s be real, makes it delicious. BUT, I am still breastfeeding and my little one is intolerant to the dairy so I’m still eating without any cows milk products. So, today I created a zucchini boat that is still full on the flavor without the added calories from the cheese (yay for a healthy meal!).
The spinach acts as the binder here. It’s what kind of holds the mixture together as you stuff those zucchini cavities. The spicy, crumbly and crispy sausage gives the dish the pop it needs. Zucchini is very mild so it needs a contrast of spice or salt to balance out the dish! And the earthy mushrooms are an added texture and flavor for the dish too.
This meal is healthy and super easy! It will be made quite a few times this zucchini season. They say Riesling is a good pairing for sausage but I prefer a nice chilled Rose! Either way a glass in hand and a plate of this recipe make me one happy mama.
…all for the love of the dish
- 4 Small zucchinis (or two large)
- 1 lb spicy italian sausage (I bought it out of the casing)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 Small red onion, diced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Halve the zucchini and scoop out seeds from the center to leave about an inch deep and thick cavity for the topping.
- Face the zucchini on a foil lined backing sheet with the skin facing up.
- Drizzle with olive oil and use a good season of salt and pepper across the zucchini halves.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large, deep skillet pan over medium high heat. Add ground sausage and cook until no pink remains, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside to add back later.
- Drizzle a tbsp olive oil into pan and turn to medium heat. Add diced red onion and sliced mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in garlic clove and season with salt and pepper. Then add spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir In the sausage.
- Top your roasted zucchini boats with the sausage and vegetable mixture.