Time for something fun and fruity for the Fourth of July! I wish I could say it’s red, white and blue themed but…It’s not. However, it is red (so that makes it festive!), and it’s refreshing and super easy to make. So that should cover all the bases you need for an excuse to make it! Ok, so let’s get to what it is. I’m sharing Strawberry and Mango Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Chips for scooping!
First, let’s discuss the salsa. I finely dice up seasonal strawberries and juicy mango to start. Then I added some sugar, preserves and vanilla extract in there and it truly transforms the fruit. The sugar not only sweetens the mixture but draws out the juices and creates a syrupy base that thickens the salsa. It is just so darn tasty and bright. I love this because it’s a chilled dessert and on hot days you need something to cool you off!
Now on to those cinnamon and sugar chips we are pairing them with. These are simply small pitas cut into corners. I tossed them with coconut oil, cinnamon and brown and white sugars. Then you bake them to a slight crisp and voila! I should also note you can make the chips as crispy or as soft as you like. I like crunchy edges with just a slightly soft center so I take mine out of the oven at 12-13 minutes. But if you want them to be all crunch just keep them in for a little longer. I tried making these a few times and originally used olive oil which works just fine too. But, I found that using coconut oil just gives them a tiny hint of additional flavor. It’s barely recognizable in each bite but just gives a slight undertone of coconut (which I personally love!).
Make these for a mid-week snack, after dinner treat, or as a summer barbecue contribution. Whether you choose to share or keep it all to yourself, the consumer(s) will be happy in the end!
…all for the love of the dish
- For the salsa
- 1.5 cups of strawberries, diced
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 2 tbsp strawberry preserves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Light brown sugar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- For the Cinnamon Sugar Chips
- 4 pitas
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut pitas like a pizza to make triangle shaped chips.
- In a large bowl mix together oil, sugars, and cinnamon. Add in pitas and toss until they are well coated.
- Spread out on foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are crisped but there is still some softness to the center of the pita.
- While the pita chips cook, dice the fruit and add to a bowl, add in vanilla extract, sugar and strawberry preserves. Mix well to create the salsa.
- Serve with chips!