Who has a Holiday Hangover, like me? I ate my weight in Christmas cookies, candies, and other Christmas goodies. It’s time to clean up my eating act a little bit. I wanted to incorporate some greens into my very lacking diet, so this seasonal salad was born. Winter Citrus Salad with Fennel and Pistachios is the perfect way to jump start those New Year, better you resolutions!
This salad combination is bursting with bright citrus with slivers of naval oranges and ruby red grapefruits. It also has peppery and spiced pops of flavor from the arugula and shaved fennel. And I love the richness from the pistachios that lend both a sweet and salty little crunch. The salad is refreshing and light, just what we need right now.
Here’s a few ways to think about enjoying this salad:
- Make it a main course and add some simply sauteed shrimp to the top
- Use it as a side dish to baked chicken or sliced steak (Hint hint- come back to www.behindtheplates.com later this week for a fabulous roasted red pepper pesto and panko baked chicken!)
- eat just the salad on it’s own and sip on a tempranillo to pair with the orange notes
…all for the love of the dish
- 2 naval oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 cup shaved fennel
- 1/4 cup raw (unsalted) pistachios
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 tsp pepper
- wash the grapefruit and oranges. Halve the one orange and place one half to the side to be used for the dressing. For the remaining orange and a half and the grapefruit and leaving the skin on, slice into thing circles. Carefully use your fingers or a knife to press out the orange flesh in each slice. It should remove itself fairly easily, leaving you with minimal peel remaining on the fruit. Place the citrus slices aside.
- very finely slice/shave your fennel bulb until you have about half a cup.
- In a small bowl mix together the juice from the remaining half of orange, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add arugula and fennel to bowl. Add dressing mixture and toss until coated. top with citrus slices and pistachios and serve!